Maddie’s Practical Ringworm Apprenticeship
Austin Pets Alive! Town Lake Animal Center (TLAC):
1156 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78703 (downtown Austin)
**Please note: This address can confuse Google Maps, if so, use “1200 Reserve Road, Austin TX 78703” for the most accurate directions.
Parking locations can be found here.
- Laptop or tablet
- Camera or phone camera
- Comfortable clothing and extra layers
- Written questions or concerns to make sure all of your questions get answered
- Existing protocols from your organization
- Any documents that would be helpful to aid in the understanding of your organization and its systems
- A great attitude!
All students should complete their pre-work through Maddie’s University prior to their apprenticeship, this is tracked for completion. Information to register for Maddie’s University and receive your pre-class information is in your class registration confirmation email sent by the Academy. Some courses have not been released and this page has been provided to assist you or provide a refresher prior to your attendance.
Please complete the following before arrival:
Review the following documentation before arrival:
- Ringworm Adoption Waiver
- Ringworm Treatment Tracker
- Ringworm Adopter FAQ Sheet
- Ringworm Dip Instruction Protocol
- Ringworm Oral Medication Policies
- Ringworm Adoption Protocols
- Ringworm Cleaning Protocols
- Ringworm Recognition and Sanitation Procedure
- APA!’s Complete Guide to Ringworm
- Ringworm Wood’s Lamp Procedure
Students should plan to arrive at APA’s Main Campus (TLAC) at 10:00 AM on the first day of their apprenticeship.
The daily schedule will vary, and will be communicated to students on the first day of the apprenticeship.
The apprenticeship will end by 6:00 PM on the last day of the apprenticeship.
Activities will be classroom based, in the shelter and outdoors. Students will spend time working hands-on with cats and should wear clothes that they are comfortable getting slightly dirty or stained. Students will not be provided with PPE while working in the Ringworm Adoption Center, will be working hands-on with cats with ringworm and other zoonotic conditions, and must be comfortable with this in order to attend.
- Close-toed shoes
- Pants or Jeans
- We encourage all our students to proudly wear shirts or items from their home shelters!
Texas weather is unpredictable, so it is recommended to check the daily weather forecast prior to your visit. You can learn more about our weather here.