Maddie’s Pet Resource Center Apprenticeship
Located at Austin Animal Center:
7201 Levander Loop, Bldg A
Austin, Texas 78702
There may also be a field trip to the following location:
Austin Pets Alive! Town Lake Animal Center (TLAC):
1156 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78703 (downtown Austin)
**Please note: This address can confuse Google Maps, if so, use “1200 Reserve Road, Austin TX 78703” for the most accurate directions.
Parking locations can be found here.
- Any materials (policies, protocols, training materials, etc.) or templates you have created that you might like to share!
- Internal policies and protocols relevant to the department
- Any reports you feel are relevant
- If your organization has a contract for animal services (instead of being a municipal organization) please bring your organization’s contract
- Laptop or tablet
- Camera or phone camera
- Notebook (paper) and pen for taking notes
- Comfortable clothing and extra layers
- A great attitude!
Please complete the following prior to your class:
- Join Facebook Group
- Make sure your online pre-apprenticeship survey has been completed. This was sent in your acceptance email from the Lifesaving Academy
- Students are asked to come with a knowledge of their organization’s budget, and methodology of resource allocation.
- Collect and bring data from your organization (details TBD)
Read prior to first day of apprenticeship:
Students should plan to arrive at AAC at 9:00 AM on the first day of their apprenticeship. Expect to be on-site until at least 5:00 or 6:00 PM each evening. The apprenticeship will end by 5:00 PM on the last day.
When you arrive, please go to Building A. The door will be locked, however, a staff member will let you in and escort you to your classroom.
Activities will be classroom based, in the shelter, and outdoors. Students will be interacting with the public at times, so students are asked to wear business casual attire.
- Close-toed shoes
- Pants or Jeans
- We encourage all our students to proudly wear shirts or items from their home shelters!
Texas weather is unpredictable, so it is recommended to check the daily weather forecast prior to your visit. You can learn more about our weather here.
Coffee will be provided. If you use a particular creamer please plan to bring it. AAC has vending machines for sodas and you will have access to water.
You may want to reach out to fellow students in your class by e-mail or via Facebook to coordinate lodging. Previous students have found it helpful to be able to share transportation as well as the opportunity to socialize. Lodging recommendations can be found here.
We encourage you to rent a car as the transportation needs for the week get very expensive using a rideshare or taxi service. Another option is to coordinate and share a rental car with another student. You can find planning your trip recommendations here.
We look forward to seeing you in Austin!