Maddie’s Pet Resource Center Apprenticeship
Located at Austin Animal Center:
7201 Levander Loop, Bldg A
Austin, Texas 78702
There may also be a field trip to the following location:
Austin Pets Alive! Town Lake Animal Center (TLAC):
1156 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78703 (downtown Austin)
**Please note: This address can confuse Google Maps, if so, use “1200 Reserve Road, Austin TX 78703” for the most accurate directions.
Parking locations can be found here.
- Any materials (policies, protocols, training materials, etc.) or templates you have created that you might like to share!
- Internal policies and protocols relevant to the department
- Any reports you feel are relevant
- If your organization has a contract for animal services (instead of being a municipal organization) please bring your organization’s contract
- Laptop or tablet
- Camera or phone camera
- Notebook (paper) and pen for taking notes
- Comfortable clothing and extra layers
- A great attitude!
All students should complete their pre-work through Maddie’s University prior to their apprenticeship, this is tracked for completion. Information to register for Maddie’s University and receive your pre-class information is in your class registration confirmation email sent by the Academy. Some courses have not been released and this page has been provided to assist you or provide a refresher prior to your attendance.
Please complete the following prior to your class:
- Make sure your online pre-apprenticeship survey has been completed. This was sent in your acceptance email from the Lifesaving Academy
- Students are asked to come with a knowledge of their organization’s budget, and methodology of resource allocation.
- Collect and bring data from your organization (details TBD)
Read prior to first day of apprenticeship:
Students should plan to arrive at AAC at 9:00 AM on the first day of their apprenticeship. Expect to be on-site until at least 5:00 or 6:00 PM each evening. The apprenticeship will end by 5:00 PM on the last day.
When you arrive, please go to Building A. The door will be locked, however, a staff member will let you in and escort you to your classroom.
Activities will be classroom based, in the shelter, and outdoors. Students will be interacting with the public at times, so students are asked to wear business casual attire.
- Close-toed shoes
- Pants or Jeans
- We encourage all our students to proudly wear shirts or items from their home shelters!
Texas weather is unpredictable, so it is recommended to check the daily weather forecast prior to your visit. You can learn more about our weather here.
We look forward to seeing you in Austin!