Maddie’s Matchmaker Apprenticeship
Austin Pets Alive! Town Lake Animal Center (TLAC):
1156 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78703 (downtown Austin)
**Please note: This address can confuse Google Maps, if so, use “1200 Reserve Road, Austin TX 78703” for the most accurate directions.
Parking locations can be found here.
- Laptop or tablet
- Camera or phone camera
- Closed toe shoes
- Comfortable clothing
- Hat and sunblock (if you burn easily)
- Written questions or concerns to make sure all of your questions get answered
- Examples of existing behavior notes and data at current organization (preferably, have access to digital versions)
- Customer service protocols at current organization
- Relevant local legislation
- A great attitude!
All students should complete their pre-work through Maddie’s University prior to their apprenticeship, this is tracked for completion. Links below are provided for your convenience as some University courses are being prepared and are un-tracked.
Please complete the following before you arrive:
- How Austin became America’s Largest No-Kill City – Huffington Post
- No Better than Flipping a Coin: Reconsidering Canine Behavior Evaluations in Animal Shelters – Journal of Veterinary Behavior
- Reality Behind No-Kill and Dog Bites
- Adopters Welcome Manual – Courtesy of the Humane Society
- The Placement Conundrum – Animal Sheltering
- Why Shelters and Rescues Need to Unstop the Customer Service Bottleneck – Courtesy of Maddie’s Fund
- Marketing is not Adoption Counseling – Animal Farm Foundation
- All Dogs are Individuals Infographic – Animal Farm Foundation
- How Starting from Scratch… Can Get Long-Stay Dogs Adopted – Maddie’s Fund
Students should plan to arrive at APA’s Main Campus (TLAC) at 10:00 AM on the first day of their apprenticeship. When you arrive, please head to Building A (Davenport) and ring the bell. Let them know you are there for the Maddie’s Matchmaker Apprenticeship to be directed to your classroom.
The daily schedule will vary, and will be communicated to students on the first day of the apprenticeship, anticipate an average schedule between 9am-6pm.
The apprenticeship will end by 4:00 PM on the last day of the apprenticeship.
Activities will be classroom based, in the shelter and outdoors. Students will spend time working hands-on with dogs and should wear clothes that they are comfortable getting slightly dirty.
- Close-toed shoes
- Pants or Jeans
- We encourage all our students to proudly wear shirts or items from their home shelters!
Texas weather is unpredictable, so it is recommended to check the daily weather forecast prior to your visit. You can learn more about our weather here.