Maddie’s Lifesaving Leadership Master Class
Austin Pets Alive! Town Lake Animal Center (TLAC):
1156 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78703 (downtown Austin)
**Please note: This address can confuse Google Maps, if so, use “1200 Reserve Road, Austin TX 78703” for the most accurate directions.
Parking locations can be found here.
We’ll also take field trips to the following locations:
Austin Animal Center:
7201 Levander Loop, Bldg A, Austin, TX 78702 (east Austin)
Bldg. A is in the middle of the property, look for the large airplane hanger style front.
- Laptop or tablet
- Camera or phone camera
- Comfortable clothing and extra layers
- Water bottle
- Written questions or concerns to make sure all of your questions get answered
- Existing protocols from your organization
- Any documents that would be helpful to aid in the understanding of your organization and its systems
- A great attitude!
All students should complete their pre-work through Maddie’s University prior to their apprenticeship, this is tracked for completion. Information to register for Maddie’s University and receive your pre-class information is in your class registration confirmation email sent by the Academy. Some courses have not been released and this page has been provided to assist you or provide a refresher prior to your attendance.
Please review the following before you arrive:
- APA! Core Values
- How Austin Did It – Roadmap to Saving More Lives
- Using Data to Make Austin a No Kill City
- Tips for Working with Local Lawmakers on Animal Issues
- AmPA Keynote: Becoming No Kill with Ryan Clinton
- The Bottom 50%
- The Transparent Shelter – Building Trust Within Your Community
- Economic Impact Study
- Economic Impact Infographic
- AmPA Keynote: Blueprint to a Successful No Kill Journey
- Strategic Planning to No Kill: No Duplication of Effort…
- City of El Paso City Council Animal Services Report (watch from 57:00 – 1:30) – Courtesy of City of El Paso
Please bring the following data for in-class activities:
- Bring the following data for the previous calendar year. Organize them in an Excel spreadsheet.
- Intake: Broken down by age, species, and field vs. OTC (over-the-counter)
- Outcome: Broken down by adopted, transferred, RTO, and euthanized (for euthanized, break down by species, age, and month)
- Euthanisia snapshot: Now dig deeper into your outcome data. Collect all information you have available to you on all the animals euthanized for 1 week in July and 1 week in December. We ask that that you bring a printout of whatever information you have for each individual animal, which could simply mean a print out of a PetPoint file, or clinic notes, or emails from the former owner. Bring any and everything you have available to you! This will help us with an activity we’ll be doing in class.
Day 1 (Monday):
Class will begin at 9:00 AM on Day 1 (Monday) at the APA! Main Campus (TLAC).
When you arrive, head to building A (Davenport) and ring the bell. The door will be locked, but staff will be available to let you in.
The daily schedule will vary, and will be communicated to students on the first day of the apprenticeship.
The apprenticeship will end by 6:00 PM on Day 3 (Wednesday).
Activities will be classroom based, in the shelter and outdoors.
- Close-toed shoes
- Pants or Jeans
- We encourage all our students to proudly wear shirts or items from their home shelters!
Texas weather is unpredictable, so it is recommended to check the daily weather forecast prior to your visit. You can learn more about our weather here.