Maddie’s Canine Lifesaving Master Class
Your apprenticeship will take place at:
Austin Pets Alive! Town Lake Animal Center (TLAC):
1156 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78703 (downtown Austin)
Please note: This address can confuse Google Maps, if so, use “1200 Reserve Road, Austin TX 78703” for the most accurate directions.
Parking locations can be found here.
- Laptop or tablet
- Camera or phone camera
- Comfortable clothing and extra layers
- Water bottle
- Written questions or concerns to make sure all of your questions get answered
- Existing protocols from your organization
- Any documents that would be helpful to aid in the understanding of your organization and its systems
- A great attitude!
More prework may be added before the Master Class. Please check back regularly.
Please complete the following before arrival:
- Bring notes for a long stay dog or a dog that they are struggling to place (any and all notes that you have on this dog)
- Systematic Canine Lifesaving Master Class PreSurvey
- Dog Program Gap Analysis – Please plan on bringing to class with you on Day 1
- Join Facebook Group
Review the following documentation before arrival:
- Article: How Austin Became America’s Largest No-Kill City – Huffington Post
- Austin’s No Kill Timeline
- Video: Creating and Sustaining a Dog Foster Network
- Intake and Flow with 4-Days for Life
- Video: Medical Treatment for Dogs on a Shoestring Budget
- CGC-Ready and TOP Dog Story
- Video: Level 1 Dog Walking Introduction
- Dogs Playing For Life (DPFL) Manual
- Study: No Better Than Flipping A Coin
- Article: Is it time to stop evaluating shelter dogs for food guarding?
- DPFL Training Principles
- Video: Kennel Routine
- Volunteer Dog Walking Program Overview
- Article: Marketing is Not Adoption Counseling – Courtesy of the Animal Farm Foundation
- Infographic: All Dogs are Individuals – Courtesy of the Animal Farm Foundation
- HSUS Adopter’s Welcome Manual
- Article: The Placement Conundrum – Animal Sheltering Magazine
Students should plan to arrive at APA’s Main Facility (TLAC) at 10:00 AM on the first day of their apprenticeship. Upon arrival, students should head to Building A (Davenport). Their instructor, Clare, will meet them there and escort them to their classroom.
The daily schedule will vary, and will be communicated to students on the first day of the apprenticeship.
The apprenticeship will end by 3:30 PM on the last day.
Activities will be classroom based, in the shelter and outdoors. Students will spend time working hands-on with dogs and should wear clothes that they are comfortable getting slightly dirty.
- Close-toed shoes
- Pants or Jeans
- We encourage all our students to proudly wear shirts or items from their home shelters!
Texas weather is unpredictable, so it is recommended to check the daily weather forecast prior to your visit. You can learn more about our weather here.